Historically, Men-Tsee-Khang was established in 1916 by the 13 Dalai Lama in Lhasa, Tibet. In 1959 the People's Republic of China invaded Tibet and His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama fled to India followed by 80,000 Tibetans. His Holiness was given residence in Mussorie by the Indian Government and then a year later in 1960 was granted permanent residence in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, India. Besides rehabilitation of the Tibetan refugees, His Holiness also started to set up religious, cultural and educational Institutes in order to preserve the rich ancient cultures and traditions of Tibet.
Thus, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama re-established Men-Tsee-Khang, Tibetan Medical and Astro. Institute in Dharamsala on 23 March, 1961. The Institute initially started with a doctor and an astrologer with ten students in two separate campuses in Dharamsala called Chopra House and Gleenmore Cottage. Dr. Yeshi Dhonden and Ven. Dukhorwa Lodoe Gyatso were the forerunners of Medicine and Astrology Schools. In 1967, the two schools were merged together as Men-Tsee-Khang, Tibetan Medical & Astro. Institute in Mcleod Ganj and shifted to the present location in 1982 where the Headquarter of the institutes operates.
At present Men-Tsee-Khang is a full-fledged Institute with a work force of 397 (116 doctors, 17 astrologers, 264 staff) employees. The Headquarter in Dharamsala works through several departments with their own activity of academic as well as administrative in nature. The Academic field of activity includes, Men-Tsee-Khang College, Pharmaceutical Department, Astrology Department, Research & Development Department, Materia Medica Department, Documentation & Publication Department, Herbal Product Research department. The Administrative fields of activity included Main Office, Accounts, Branch Clinics Management, Internal Auditor, Medicine Store and Sales, Men-Tsee-Khang Exports and Men-Tsee-Khang Panipat.
The Institute has 54 branch medical clinics in India (rural/remote areas and city based).